2010年1月27日星期三

CRITICAL REFLECTION ON DESIGN PROJECT A: DESIGN OUT SHOPLIFTING

The RSA brief on Design out shoplifting is to think of some ideas to reduce shoplifting and improve ambience without turning a small newsagent or a large department store into Alcatraz.
Part 1. Research
The following are areas proposed for research:
1. Shoplifters
Who are they (Age? Gender? Reason to steal?), what items they steal most, which shops they are going to steal from? How to avoid attracting attention? Who is likely to become a shoplifter?
2. Techniques for preventing shoplifting
Research on the Internet about techniques and new technologies for preventing shoplifting. For example, Ink security tag, closed circuit television, electronic article surveillance.
3. Organizations and their techniques
Research on security systems installed in large and small types of businesses. Morrison and Tesco supermarkets in the large business type category and 99p store and local cosmetic shop are chosen for the small businesses category.
4. ShoplThe way shoplifters obtain goods without being detected or caught by securities. How do they steal from shops?
Part 2. Research Findings
From the research on security systems installed in Morrison Supermarket, 99p stores, a local cosmetic store located in Camberwell, London, and Tesco Supermarket Harrow. The survey was to find the advantage and disadvantage of stores to prevent shoplifting such as the product packaging design, the environment management, the touch point of customers, the experience of shopping, and the security systems and so on. The big supermarkets’ security measure was evident and easily spotted, but the small stores’ security systems were poor and there was no security measure in the local cosmetics shop. The shopkeeper told me they do not have the finance to install expensive security systems.
ifting techniques
Part 3. The idea: Everyone pays for shoplifting
After the survey on the businesses, I thought if the shop owners had enough money to install expensive security systems and trained their staffs well, then it really can stop shoplifting, but when I did the research on shoplifting techniques, I felt I was wrong. When new security technique become available there will be a period where it will be more difficult for shoplifters to steal, but sooner or later, the shoplifter will devise new techniques to beat those new technologies. So from that thought I was thinking of designing a campaign focused on the awareness issues to make people pay more attention on shoplifting.
Through the research, I finally discovered not only the retailers pay for shoplifting but consumers paid too. The truth is shoplifters cost retailers £205m and cost consumers more than £5 billion last year alone. Few people can notice that prices go up when shoplifters steal from stores. Hence in the UK, consumers pay £160 a year in higher prices because of shoplifting. Reducing theft is not just the retailers’ issue; it is a problem for the whole community. Everyone benefits when theft is stopped.



Part 4. Design solution
Firstly I designed the shoplifting logo. I decided to used the cross shape as to say shoplifting is bad.


Secondly I tried to do the poster using the image that shows below with the slogan: Shoplifter cost retailers £205m each year.



When I did the testing, I found that people did not feel touched with this campaign because it failed to show how the shoplifting can be harmful for consumers’ daily life.
What’s more, I tried to use daily goods to show the truth, which is prices goes up when people commit shoplifting, we all pay for the price of shoplifting.
Below is the example of the design solution. I asked two of my friends who works in Topshop in Oxford Circus, about the campaign. They said they cannot understand what the campaign means. I realized the message I tried to communicate is not clear enough.
1) Posters:


2) Posters:


3) Posters:
I reworked my design again and tried to use more abstractive and clear ways to communicate my idea.



I showed the design to my classmates and the feedback was the design may be too boring and old fashion. Some of the image they cannot recognize. So I redesigned my campaign again. This time I tried to use bright colours and changed some of the daily items image:
4) Posters:







5) Direct mail
This design is to show people will all be paying for shoplifters crimes by issuing an invoice to foot the bill for the coming year. I want it to be clear that by not being more vigilant towards shoplifters then we ourselves are the ones to be out of pocket.
The envelop is size C6 and the letter is size A6. The logos are on the front and bottom flap.


2) Flyers Set 
This is a set of 7 flyers binded together to make one set. The idea behind the design is to make it attractive and fun to consumers whilst looking through the pages. They contain very few words, has bright colours, and small in size, therefore ideal for consumers to flick through without being too time consuming but on the same time effective enough to get the message across.


Conclusion:
From the beginning to the final solution, what surprised me was, I finally found something people did not pay attention to and the final solution looks very powerful. What I need to improve is focusing on other Medias rather than solely by computer to do the whole design campaign, also to gain a broader target audience feedback to give a more accurate reflection on my designs, hence a quicker response to any alterations or improvements where appropriate. I think an internet questionnaire may be a very good idea for any future project to gather feedback in greater quantities.

没有评论:

发表评论